The Associate Degree Nursing Program is a 2 Â½ year program leading to an Associate of Applied Science in Nursing. NOTE: A current CNA certification is required to apply to this program.
Items considered when determining the most qualified applicants for admission each year include the following:
- HESI A2 scores (and GPA will help you score well for interview opportunity)
- Completion of pre and co-requisite courses: General Chemistry course with lab, Nutrition, Anatomy and Physiology I , English Composition, Introduction to Psychology, and Computer proficiency, Human Growth and Development, Anatomy and II, Speech, , Microbiology, Statistics, and Philosophy
- Grade Point Average
- Science GPA
- Completion of additional courses that could apply towards a Bachelorâ€™s Degree in Nursing
- Responses to questionnaire and face to face interview
- In District status
- Experience in Health care
- Holistically evaluated responses to questionnaire
In addition, students who are entering this program need to be aware they will have to undergo a criminal history check and random drug screens. Students will undergo a FBI criminal history check through the Board of Nurse Examiners and licensure may be denied if any criminal activity or history of certain psychiatric illness is present. Students who need to clarify this issue may apply for a declaratory order with the Board of Nurse Examiners (bon.state.tx.us)
Salaries for a newly graduated Registered Nurse vary based on work hours and setting, but average $21.00 per hour in this area.
READY TO APPLY TO THE PROGRAM?