Northeast Texas Community College will open at 10 a.m. on Wednesday, Jan. 17.
Classes beginning at 8 a.m. and 9:30 a.m. are cancelled and the regular course schedule will resume at 11 a.m.
Offices will open at 10 a.m.



  » Financial Aid Main Page
  » Consumer Information
  » Types of Aid Available
  » Scholarship Information
  » Apply for Financial Aid
  » Check Award Status
  » Financial Aid Forms
  » Freq. Asked Questions.
  » Understanding Student Loans
  » Student Worker Positions
  » Net Price Calculator
  » Equality in Athletics
  » College Navigator
  » Student Right to Know





Frequently Asked Questions  


What is the Financial Aid Philosophy?

Financial aid is available to help those students who, without such aid, would be unable to attend college. Such costs include direct expenses such as tuition, fees, books, and supplies; and indirect expenses such as room and board, transportation, and personal expenses. The primary resource for meeting this cost of education is you, the student, and your parents and/or spouse. Financial aid helps remove the barriers for those families who cannot afford the cost and fill the gap for families who can afford only part of the cost. Aid is available from state, federal and local government and through private and institutional sources.

Back to top
What is Financial Aid?

Back to top
How do I apply?

Back to top
Am I eligible?

In general, you are eligible for federal and state aid if you meet the following requirements:

  • You have a high school diploma or GED certificate.
  • You are enrolled as a regular student in an eligible program at NTCC.
  • You are a U.S. citizen or an eligible non-citizen.
  • You show that you have financial need.
  • You are making satisfactory academic progress in your course of study.
  • You are not in default on a Perkins Loan (or National Direct Student Loan [NDSL]), Guaranteed Student Loan, or PLUS/SLS Loan.
  • You don't owe a refund on a Pell Grant or a Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grant.
  • You are registered with the Selective Service, if you are required to do so.
  • You have not been convicted of drug distribution or possession.

Back to top
When will I know if I'm eligible for financial aid?

Back to top
How is financial aid determined?

Back to top
How will I be notified?

An award letter will be prepared listing the type of aid and the estimated amount of your award. No money will be disbursed until your financial aid file is complete. If you are selected for verification by the processing center, you will need the following to complete your file.

1. Financial Aid Application/Verification form.
2. Student Aid Report (Pell Grant form).
3. Proof of previous year's income, taxable and untaxed.
4. Financial Aid Transcript, if applicable.
5. Other documents deemed necessary for verification.

Financial aid funds will generally be paid to you at registration each semester. Your tuition, and related college expenses will be credited to you account first. Pell funds will be applied before institutional athletic scholarships. Any remaining balance of federal or state aid will be paid to you in the form of cash disbursement within approximately 30 days. The exception, of course, is the Work-Study Program funds which are paid to you on a monthly basis as they are earned. Since this money is provided to meet both living and educational expenses for the semester, you will need to budget your money carefully.

Refunds will be returned to the appropriate program in the following manner:

1. Loan Programs (if applicable)
2. Scholarships
3. SEOG Program
4. Pell Program
5. SSIG Program
6. Student

Back to top
Is funding available for summer semesters?

Pell Grant funding is the only form of financial aid offered during summer sessions. A summer-only transfer student is not eligible for financial aid at Northeast, unless eligibility is left on his or her Pell. To be considered for summer Pell Grant funding, a student must:

1. Have remaining eligibility from their current academic year Student Aid Report, OR have a completed financial aid file for the upcoming academic year on file in the Financial Aid Office.
2. Be maintaining satisfactory academic progress (see policy below for details).

Back to top
What standards of satisfactory academic progress must be maintained?

Back to top
What if I'm denied financial aid?

A student may be denied financial assistance for several reasons: insufficient need, shortage of financial aid funds, incomplete application, or failure to maintain satisfactory progress. If you are not eligible, come by the Financial Aid Office to check on other resources available.

Back to top
Can I appeal the denial?

If you are denied assistance you may petition the Financial Aid Director to consider any mitigating circumstances. Further appeal steps include a written appeal to the Financial Aid Director. The President of the college is the final appeal authority. These appeals must be made in writing and within 30 days after initial notification.

Back to top
What are my rights as a student?

You have the right to ask a school:

  • The names of its accrediting and licensing organizations.
  • About its programs, its instructional laboratory and other physical facilities; and its faculty.
  • What the cost of attending is, and what its policy is on refunds to students who drop out.
  • What financial assistance is available, including information on all federal, state, local, private, and institutional financial aid programs.
  • What the procedures and deadlines are for submitting applications for each available financial aid program.
  • How it selects financial aid recipients.
  • How it determines your financial need. This process includes how costs for tuition and fees, room and board, travel, books and supplies, and personal and miscellaneous expenses are considered in your cost of education. It also includes the resources considered in calculating your need (such as parental contribution, other financial aid, assets, etc.).
  • How much of your financial need, as determined by the school, has been met.
  • How and when you will be paid.
  • To explain each type and amount of assistance in your financial aid package.
  • What the interest rate is on any student loan you have, the total amount you must repay, the length of time you have to repay, when you must start repayment, and what cancellation or deferment (postponement) provisions apply.
  • If you are offered a work-study job, what kind of job it is, what hours you must work, what your duties will be, what the rate of pay will be, and how and when you will be paid.
  • To reconsider your aid package, if you believe a mistake has been made, or if your enrollment or financial aid circumstances have changed.
  • How the school determines whether you are making satisfactory progress and what happens if you are not.
  • What special facilities and services are available to the handicapped.
Back to top
What are my responsibilities as a student receiving financial aid?

It is your responsibility to:

  • Review and consider all information about a school's program before you enroll.

  • Pay special attention to your application for student financial aid, complete it accurately, and submit it on time to the right place. Errors can delay or prevent your receiving aid.

  • Know and comply with all deadlines for applying or reapplying for aid.

  • Notify your school of any information that has changed since you applied.

  • Read, understand, and keep copies of all forms you are asked to sign.

  • Repay any student loans you have. When you sign a promissory note, you are agreeing to repay your loan.

  • Attend an exit interview at your school, if you have Stafford Student Loan or PLUS/SLS Loan.

  • Notify your school of any change in your name, address, or attendance status (half-time, three-quarter time, or full-time). If you have a loan, you must also notify your lender of these changes.

  • Satisfactorily perform the work agreed upon in a Work-study job.

  • Understand you school's refund policy.

Back to top
Do I have to pay taxes on my scholarship or grant?

Effective January 1, 1987, all scholarships and grants are subject to taxation under the new tax reform act. The tax reform act allows exemptions for degree candidates in the amount received for tuition, required fees, required books, supplies, and equipment. The student will be responsible for justifying and documenting the allowable expenses to be excluded. Accurate records of scholarships and grants received and receipts for books, supplies, tuition, and required fees should be kept by each student to file with income tax returns. Questions and requests should be directed to the IRS or a private tax consultant.

Back to top
What are some of the types of assistance available?

Back to top
What types of scholarships are available through NTCC?

Click here to see a list of available scholarships.

Back to top
Is loan counseling for Stafford Student Loans and Supplemental Loans for student borrowers available?

Northeast no longer participates in the Federal Family Student Loan Program.

Back to top
What are the dates and deadlines for financial aid?

If you need financial aid for this semester: Submit documentation by:
Fall Semester June 1
Spring Semester October 1
Summer April 1

Dates listed above are priority dates. Applications received after these dates will be processed as time and availability of funds permit. You must reapply for financial assistance each academic year. Your award does not continue automatically beyond the period awarded.

Back to top -->

The Financial Aid Office is located in the Student Services Building on the NTCC Main campus.
For More Information Contact:
Financial Aid Office

Office Hours:
Monday - Thursday : 8am - 6pm
Friday : 8 am - Noon
Saturday & Sunday : Closed

Hits: 34927 |
This page last updated by K. Lawrence on 02/16/2017

Northeast Texas Community College is an equal opportunity, affirmative action, ADA institution.

Accreditation | Disclaimer | Emergency Preparedness Information Hot Careers in Texas | Human Resources | Privacy Statement |
Online Institutional Resumes | State of Texas Online | Statewide Search | Texas Homeland Security | State link policy
Northeast Texas Community College is an equal opportunity, affirmative action, ADA institution.
Copyright © 2014 - NTCC - All Rights Reserved