- The Academic Skills Center (ASC) of Northeast Texas Community College administers several programs to prepare students for satisfactory achievement in either academic or vocational college-level courses.
- The ASC offers:
- peer tutoring,
- study skills workshops,
- self-paced instructional materials, and
- computer usage
The programs and resources of the ASC are designed to aid students in developing responsibility for their own learning.
- The ASC acts as a developmental education center for students entering college with weak academic areas and learning strategy concerns.
- Students who are returning to school after a number of years have special concerns and needs; the Academic Skills Center offers programs and resources to help those students adapt to the college environment, and become re-acquainted with the classroom.
- The goal of the Academic Skills Center is to help students become more effective learners; in addition, the ASC is open to anyone wishing to improve basic academic skills.
THE WRITING CENTER
- Free Tutoring is available for NTCC students in Humanities Room 109.
- Check the schedule to see what subject and tutors are available.
- Writing help is available to students working on papers for any class.
- Help is available in generating ideas, drafts, grammar, punctuation, usage, etc.
- Computers with word processing programs and printers are available for student use.
- Students desiring to print must purchase an Academic Skills Center print card from the NTCC College Store.
- Computers equipped with various software programs are available for student and community use.
- Printing capabilities are available.
- Users are required to purchase a print card from the NTCC College Store.
- The ASC promotes effective study skills by presenting study skills workshops throughout the semester.
- Workshops for various classes and groups are also available. Call to request an ASC study skills workshop - (903.434.9243).
BASIC SKILLS IMPROVEMENT
- Self-directed studies are free and available in reading, writing, math, spelling, keyboarding, and computer use.