Psi Beta® is the National Honor Society in Psychology for Community and Junior colleges, founded for the purpose of stimulating, encouraging, and recognizing scholarship and interest in psychology. Membership is open to men and women who are enrolled at 2-year colleges and who have completed at least three semester hours of credit in psychology with a grade of “B” or better and have an overall GPA of 3.25 or better.
What are the Benefits?
- National Recognition
- Psi Beta serves as a means of national recognition of the student’s early interest and dedication to the field of psychology, in addition to scholastic achievement.
- References provided by the national organization of Psi Beta throughout one’s lifetime. (This service alone is worth the once-in-a-lifetime membership fee; almost all application forms have space for honors).
- Opportunities to be recognized and to participate at psychology conventions.
- Ownership of a Psi Beta membership certificate and card that is recognized nationally.
- The honor of membership in the honor society in the field of one’s special interest enhances a feeling of confidence and self-fulfillment.
- Psi Beta provides a sense of camaraderie with others in the field of psychology.
- The experience of operating a Psi Beta chapter provides
- Opportunities for student/faculty interaction outside the classroom.
- Opportunities to sponsor programs to nurture and stimulate professional growth (including programs to augment and enhance the regular curriculum).
- The opportunity for students to acquire leadership skills. (Leadership experience is often difficult to obtain early in one’s career for use on application to graduate school or for work).
- A chance for students to meet their peers with similar interests, and to promote a sense of belongingness.
- Professional Growth
- To learn more about the professional and educational choices available.
- Opportunity to meet outstanding professionals in psychology.
- Opportunity to earn a $500 scholarship to transfer to a four-year college.
Requirements for Membership
1. Enrollment at a 2-year college.
2. An overall GPA of 3.25and at least a “B” average in psychology.
3. Completion of one semester with a grade of “B” or better in psychology.
4. Payment for a lifetime membership and national registration is $60.
NTCC Psi Beta Chapter
Your student organization provides you with opportunities to meet with fellow students as well as professionals in the field. Field trips and seminars are scheduled as student needs are determined. There are endless possibilities for action and interaction and your involvement in Psi Beta is important.
For more information, contact Dr. Karyn Skaar at 903-434-8293 or email@example.com