(Health Education System Incorporated)
The HESI Admission Assessment (A2) exam is a computerized test that can include up to seven academic exam sections, as well as a personality profile that identifies the applicant's learning style. Candidates need to be aware that each question has a different point value. It is to your advantage to supply an answer for each question, but keep in mind when receiving your scores that two individuals who have the same number of correct answers may earn a different overall score based on the weight of the test questions they answered correctly. The Northeast Texas Community College School of Nursing requires applicant's to take the following sections:
- Math: 55-item exam. Focuses on math skills needed for health care fields, including basic addition, subtraction, multiplication, fractions, decimals, ratio and proportion, household measures, general math facts, etc.
- Reading Comprehension: 55-item exam. Provides reading scenarios in order to measure reading comprehension, including: identifying the main idea, finding meaning of words in context, passage comprehension, making logical inferences, etc. The reading scenarios are provided as screen pop-ups, and students can move around the windows to see the entire scenario.
- Vocabulary and General Knowledge: 55-item exam. Contains basic vocabulary terms that are commonly used in both general English speaking and in the health care fields.
- Grammar: 55-item exam. Contains basic grammar, including: parts of speech, important terms and their uses in grammar, commonly occurring grammatical errors, etc.
- Anatomy and Physiology (A&P): 30-item exam. Provides coverage of general terminology and anatomical structures and systems.
There are two additional tests,
- Learning styles inventory
- Personality profile
The 2 personal inventories are scored individually, but are not included in the overall cumulative score. There are a total of 7 exams. Northeast Texas Community College does not require the Biology, Physics, Chemistry or Critical Thinking sections.
What do I need to bring with me on the day I am schedule to test?
All examinees must have a photo ID on testing day to be admitted. The testing center will provide scratch paper, and pencils for examinee. Cell phones and electronic devices are prohibited in the testing center.
How much time should I plan to spend taking the HESI exam?
The average time most examinees take for completing the entire exam is two and a half to three hours. This can vary depending on your reading speed and amount of time to answer questions and if you take only the required sections or the entire exam
- $30.00 nonrefundable administration fee payable to Northeast Texas Community College
- $42.00 testing fee to Elsevier. Students must pay for the HESI A2 exam by credit or debit card.
• You may purchase a copy through the college bookstores.
Testing Center Hours
Office hours are Monday through Thursday: 8:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m. Closed on Saturdays & Sundays.
NO TESTS WILL BE STARTED AFTER 5:00 P. M.
The HESI A2 is available by appointment only. You will not be tested on a walk-in or stand-by basis under any circumstances. Appointments can be made by calling the Testing Center.