Frequently Asked Questions

How do I apply for educational benefits?

You can apply for your education benefits at

This will need to be done before you can begin using your benefits with any institute. Please apply in enough time for the VA to process. This could take up to 90 days, and you will be held responsible for payment of any classes by the scheduled payment dates.

What paperwork do I need to get started?

It is good to always bring your DD214 member 4 and Military transcripts. Once you have placed those documents, you will need to bring in your Certificate of Eligibility. If using a state benefit, you will need to bring in the Hazlewood application along with any supporting documents.

Can I use the Hazlewood Exemption along with my Federal Benefit’s?

Yes, you can use the Hazlewood concurrently with Chapter 30, 1606, or 35. You can’t use Hazlewood along with your Chapter 33 Post -9/11 unless you are below a 100% military rating. Please contact your VA Coordinator for more information.

How do I know how much I’m going to get paid for housing?

Use this tool to help calculate your housing allowance:

Is there any scholarships available to Veterans?

Yes, please contact financial aid to get the application.

When will my Enrollment be certified for the classes I’m attending?

If you are Chapter 33 Post-9/11 and have turned in all your paperwork, enrollments should be certified as early as two weeks before your classes begin. If you are using any other VA benefit, your classes will be certified on the Census date. This is usually the 6th class day. Although, it differs for each class.

I received an F in a course. Will the VA pay for me to retake it?

Yes, the VA will pay to retake a course once. If you are unsuccessful twice, the VA generally will not pay for a third repeat.

I received a D in a course. Will the VA pay for me to retake it?

This answer will vary depending on the circumstances. It is best to check with the VA Coordinator for details.

I am not doing well in a course and think I should withdraw from it. Will this impact my VA?

This depends on if withdrawing from the course impacts your academic load, changing your status for example from full-time to part-time. If you do withdraw from a course and your load changes, you need to submit a statement explaining the circumstances. If you are having difficulty with a particular course, the VA will forgive up to 6 credit hours (one-time).

Can I use my benefits with multiple institutes?

Yes. You will need to contact your Home Institute and ask the VA representative for a parent letter to turn into NTCC.

Who should I contact if I haven’t received my money?

First, contact the VA Coordinator to make sure everything has been sent to the VA. After, call this help line to inquire: 888-442-4551

What’s the VA’s phone number?